Pages

Friday, April 5, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

  

         I am humbled and grateful on this one-week anniversary of the existence of my blog to be offered the Sunshine Award by Anna at The Silent Isle.  Thank you, dear Anna, for inspiring me to be creative and courageous as I step into the wide, wide world of blogs.

        


“The Sunshine Award is an award given by bloggers to other bloggers. The receivers of the Sunshine Award are bloggers who positively and creatively inspire others in the blogsphere.”


            I feel myself slipping into the prepared acceptance speech that I will now pull from inside of my coat pocket.  I would like to thank the academy, my parents, and most of all God. Ok, I think that’s enough. But, truly, if you are reading this today, thank you for stopping by and taking a few minutes out of your day to read my words.  My hope is that over time my blog will be as entertaining for you to read as it is for me to write.

         The conditions of this award are for me to share 7 facts about myself and to nominate 7 other blogs. So here it goes, in no particular order of importance.

1.) Growing up, I wanted to be Snow White. No, I don’t mean that I wanted to be a princess. I actually wanted to be the lady dressed in the costume and walking around Disney World acting as the character. I couldn’t imagine a more fun occupation than spending your days in “the happiest place on Earth.”  By the way, that dream never came true. But, I have been to Disney and it was really as magical as I had imagined.

2.) I am a super fan girl nerd when it comes to Harry Potter, Twilight, Game of Thrones, The Hunger Games and some others. I wear the t-shirts, drink from the coffee mugs and listen to podcast discussions on my way to and from work everyday. I’m probably just a blip away from writing fan fiction, and I’m pretty sure some of you will stop reading at this point.
  

3.) Pizza is my absolute favorite food of all time. I have been thankful on my few trips to Europe that this food seems to be universal and one of the least expensive things to eat. My husband jokes about my “needing” pizza when I was pregnant. I do believe that all three of my kids should have been born with swarthy Italian mustaches based on the amount of pizza that I consumed while they were in the womb.

4.) My husband, Stephen, is a Captain in the U.S. Army. That makes me a very proud Army wife who has lived in six different states in the last 15 years. I’ve learned to use Army terms and phrases such as “Hooah”, “Roger”, and “Shut up and color”. I’ve also learned that if you’re not five minutes early, then you’re actually fifteen minutes late. Despite these things, I can’t say the Pledge of Allegiance or listen to the national anthem without tearing up.

5.) I once loaded 400 pounds of sand by myself into the back of my husband’s truck when he was deployed. It was needed to weigh down the back-end to stop sliding all over the ice in the New York winter. My then four-year-old helped me stack and arrange eight, fifty-pound bags. I felt like She-Ra once it was done.


6.) My favorite author is Edgar Allan Poe and my favorite holiday is Halloween. I love dark and creepy. However, I refuse to watch scary movies or go to haunted houses because I don’t like to be scared. Don’t worry, I don’t understand the contradiction either.

7.)Whenever I am at home with the audience of only my immediate family, I like to turn whatever I’m saying into song, think opera.  My kids really love this (sarcasm) when I wake them up in the morning.

        So, there you have it. More things about me than you ever needed to know. Now, on to the best part.

        I have had this blog in the works for over a year, but I just didn’t have the courage to make it live on the web. The bloggers that I will nominate today are all very talented writers that have inspired and encouraged me to take that step forward.  Take the time to check out their blogs, you won’t be disappointed.

Molly at Molly Elizabeth Lee  
Lisa at lisavpires 
Alicia at On the Road to Authorship 
Brooke at Brooke Bullman
*Kate at Nested
*Drema at The Grammar of Painting
*Amy at Addled

*These wonderful ladies have already been nominated for this award by others, but since I read them daily and they serve as inspiration to me, I think you should visit them too.



13 comments:

  1. Aw, shucks, Kristi, You are so welcome! And I too turn everything into a song if I possibly can--though I get the scowl of Sauron from my kids (and my husband) most times. But I am undeterred. Keep singin' my dear! Lalalalala.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you call it the "scowl of Sauron". That is awesome! Thanks Anna.

      Delete
  2. Kristi, thanks for sharing! This post made me laugh and smile, especially number 7. And number 5, wowsers. I'm so glad to get to know you better via these seven facts! And thanks for nominating me. Although I guess that means I have to actually write another blog post...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brooke. I look forward to reading more on your blog and getting to read your facts. You are quite welcome for the nomination. It is well deserved and congratulations on all your recent success. It is inspiring indeed!

      Delete
  3. Too funny Kristi, I wake my kids up by singing songs to them also, and they just love it! (NOT!!!) Looking forward to reading more on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I can't wait for the day that their friends come over and I sing the "wake up" song.

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much for the nod, Kristi! You have no idea how much it means to me. They say third time's a charm, so let's hope so. This is the third time I've tried to post a comment, and each time it vanishes into thin air... hmmm... hope that's not a sign. I loved reading your 7 facts and I think we have more in common than I previously thought! Can't wait to catch up this summer in Ireland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, your comment made it through! I am so glad and you are very welcome for the nomination. I read your post earlier today and I am also really excited to catch up in Ireland. I can't wait. Write on!

      Delete
  5. A blog award in your first week. You ARE She-ra!

    Thanks for the kind words, the nomination and for reading my crazy words. Glad to have you as a nerd-sister!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am just really lucky to know some incredibly talented and super nice people from Spalding that are helping me get this thing rolling.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations! Love your post. I'm a HUGE Edgar fan, too. My fear of haunted houses, especially houses that claim to have a haunted presence terrify me the most. I would love to read more of your number 5 answer. That sounds like a great short story - what we women do to survive. Looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lisa! We watch Ghost Hunters and other shows like that and I totally agree with you. Knowing there is the slightest bit of truth to it makes me run for the hills! As for the stories, I love reading those. If you haven't already, you should read Anna Urquhart's, "Loretta" on her blog. It's a creepy one for sure.

      Delete
  7. Very cool! You always were the sunshine in KY!!! I miss you tons! I am so glad you are writing a blog, reading it is a lot of fun. I am sorry it has taken me this long to catch up reading it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear your thoughts.