Pages

Monday, April 29, 2013

Awakening the Joy of a Venomous Teenager- A Feel Good Story


If you give a girl a mallet, she'll want to beat a drum.  Let the girl beat the drum, and she'll want to find her rhythm. And when she finds her rhythm, the music will awaken her soul.

This girl, I'll call her Kelly, is the type of adolescent that might cause a teacher to run for the hills when they see her name on their roster. Defiant, attention-seeking, and not living up to her potential, Kelly frustrates even the most patient of educators. This is the type of student that you want so badly to reach because you know that if they would just lay their armor to the side for a few moments, they could achieve so much. But usually, Kelly pushes every one of your buttons until you give up and go home with your head hung low at another day of failed attempts.

I was sitting in a darkened theatre after one of these days waiting for a middle school band concert to begin. Three middle school bands had combined to promote the importance of music in schools. I came to listen to my son perform, but I would also see some of my students as well. Freshly showered 7th and 8th graders, wearing crisp white shirts and black slacks, began to file into the auditorium with their instruments glittering in the stage lights. Camera flashes blinded them momentarily but then they began waving to their families and elbowing each other in their giddiness at being the stars of the night. 

The last of them made their way up the stairs and that’s when I saw Kelly. Her face held no expression as she positioned herself next to the big base drum that stood at the back of the musicians and began to twirl her mallet lazily. Each band director of the different middle schools took a turn at directing. I paid little attention to Kelly after the concert began, preferring to play the part of doting parent.  That is until, her director, I’ll call him Mr. B, stepped up to the director’s podium. 
 Mr. B has a great relationship with students and is incredibly talented, so I wasn’t surprised at the smiles on the kids faces when he arrived. 

He held his baton in the air, instruments raised to position in unison, the audience’s breath held in anticipation. With a swift flick, the slow, mellow brass sound swirled through the auditorium. I was held in disbelief at the talent of these kids. Goosebumps raised on my arms and I thought back for a moment about when I was in band and what it felt like to expand your lungs to the breaking point for the beauty of sound. Each part taking its turn and blending in harmony. 

I scanned the company of players, my eyes catching on Kelly. She was smiling, her eyes bright in concentration, focused intently on Mr. B, beating the base drum in time with his direction. I was brought to the edge of my seat, blown away by her obvious joy. My grinch heart swelled three sizes bigger as the song played on and I felt hope return.

                                                                                    cadry'skitchen.com


Kids like Kelly are not hopeless. They are worthy of my efforts, of trying every single day to find whatever it is that reaches into their soul to release that spark buried deep down. I saw it. I saw the fire of passion and I will not forget it.


This is the song that was played that night performed by a different band. If you listen closely, you can hear the base drum. Listen and be filled with inspiration.

3 comments:

  1. Kristi, this is such an inspiring post! I was so moved by your observations and insight, as well as by your language: "expand your lungs to the breaking point for the beauty of sound". Beautifully written, Kristi - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kristi,
    I love your opening paragraph, and the rest of your post follows right in suit. Thanks for the music, and for your insights. Both inspire with their beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a wonderful post, Kristi! And so beautifully rendered! Your observations were perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear your thoughts.